Our lungs are the most neglected part of the human body. Lung health is important for an individual’s general health. The lungs are more vulnerable to contamination due to exposure to chemicals and contagious viruses. Moreover, it is noticed that one in every five persons lose their life from smoking. The accumulation of tar in the lungs leads to transforming healthy pink lungs to black, so to clean your lungs is essential.
Mucus assembles in the lungs to grab bacteria and other infectious agents, which gives rise to this feeling of heaviness. If you spent unlimited time breathing in cigarette smoke, heavy pollutants, viruses, and other contaminants, the aim of cleaning out your lungs sounds very pleasant.
When you quit smoking, it will take time to heal your lungs from the severe damage it did to your lungs. Lungs are capable of cleaning themselves, and they will begin this process once they are no longer reveal to heavy pollutants.
Following are few steps that you must follow if you want to keep your clean and lungs healthy.
Whether you are young or old, slim or obese, normal, or living with any kind of disability, being active can help your lungs to remain healthy. Any physical exercise can be very helpful for you to remove sputum out of your lungs. Start a workout routine. The exercises put a pleasing effect on the pliability of the chest, vertebral column as well as ribs.
If you want your body and respiratory tract to return to normal shape, sync all the exercises with your breathing. Some exercises mobilize the mucus in the lungs so that it can be discharged simply and more quickly. Moreover, aerobic exercise enhances the capacity of the lungs. It also hardens your muscles, bones, and makes your mood better.
Follow a Diet rich in Antioxidants
If you want to improve your lung health, ensure that you are eating such foods that will assist you in keeping your lungs mobile and working. Selecting the best foods for maintaining healthy lungs can help upgrade your lifestyle. Foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids can help clean up your lungs and effective working of the pulmonary system. The positive news is, some foods and drinks can help to cleanse your lungs without a lot of tablets and supplements.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are enriched with omega-3 fatty acids. Eating even a small amount of them can help cope with asthma and other respiratory disorders.
- Ginger: Ginger helps in alleviating congestion, clean out air-tracts, and triggering enough circulation to the lungs, plus it improves lung health.
- Apricots: This fruit is best for keeping your lungs healthy due to the presence of vitamin A.
- Beetroot: It comprises compounds that boost lung function as they are enriched with nitrates.
- Garlic: Garlic is filled with allicin and possesses some anti-inflammatory characteristics, which lessen the harm caused by free radicals.
- Chilli: Chilli is hot and tasty due to the enrichment of compound capsaicin. This assists in the secretion of the mucous, thus removing it from the respiratory passage and shielding the mucous membrane in the respiratory tract.
- Pomegranates: Pomegranate juice stops the development of lung tumors. It comprises a large number of antioxidants as well as ellagic acid.
- Oranges: Citrus is filled with vitamin C and also a small amount of vitamin B6. These help the lungs in the transportation of oxygen. Oranges have some beneficial antioxidants and full of vitamin C which is renowned for coping with infection.
- Grapefruit: This fruit minimizes the danger of cancer. In fact, its acidity cleanses the lungs.
- Good coffee: Caffeine, present in coffee is a drug that is very identical to theophylline. Theophylline is a bronchodilator medicine that is prescribed by doctors to open up the respiratory tract in the lungs and therefore mitigate the symptoms of asthma. This is really good news for those who love coffee. Many studies reveal a relationship between regular coffee and fit lungs. This might be due to the presence of caffeine, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Chest percussion is actually a physical therapy used often in severe long-term pulmonary diseases and many other conditions, like cystic fibrosis, to help remove the mucus from the respiratory tracts. In this therapy, you just have to gently tap your chest and back. Coupling chest percussion and postural drainage clear the excess mucus from your airways.
Another way to keep your lungs healthy is to regularly drink green tea, which is an easy solution to cleanse your lungs. Due to polyphenols (compounds that improve the immune system), green tea has anti-inflammatory characteristics that may help minimize the infection in the lungs. These can also save lung tissue from the dangerous effects of smoking. You should develop a routine to drink at least two cups of any herbal green tea preferably in the morning and post-dinner to clear the lungs.
Avoid Other Smokers
Inhaling in the smoke from cigarettes can put as harmful effects to your lungs as smoking itself. Yes, it is very difficult to deal with other smokers when you are trying to quit smoking. You must limit your vulnerability to harmful pollutants from industries, mines, and exhaust vapors that can destroy your lungs. This also includes ignoring friends, relatives, or colleagues while they are smoking.
We are not denying the fact that quitting smoking is very difficult. You must divert your attention and look for something new to do that will be a good substitute for the cigarette, e.g. walking or chewing sugar-free gum. It’s very easy to cut off yourself, particularly when you’re working to manage such a huge change in your life.
Remember, isolating yourself is not a solution. People play an important role when a smoker starts quitting smoking. People react to the decision in different ways. Some people will appreciate you – others will, knowingly or unknowingly, work to de-motivate your plan to become a non-smoker. Anyway, this is the best time to understand the problem and strictly follow a plan to quit smoking for overall health improvement, especially cleaning your lungs.